Monday, July 28, 2008

Goodyear Stinks and other Indy Observations

The only functioning Goodyear product at the 2008 Brickyard 400:
Pre-race drive by:
How exciting the race was:

Thank you, Goodyear, for ruining my trip to the Indianapolis Speedway for the Brickyard 400. 160 laps of misery, well, technically 140 laps because at that point we gave up and left. We spent a lot of money in Indianapolis between our hotel and miscellaneous expenditures for the race and came back with nothing but a sunburn and a good deal of post-race disappointment.

Wait, the cars are actually moving... at 70 MPH under caution. On the right, our typical view of the track.

For those of you who don't pay attention to NASCAR, let me briefly explain. The cars should go around the track at 175 MPH, only stopping when there is a wreck or if a car needs to pit for fuel, tires, or adjustments. At the Brickyard on Sunday, NASCAR stopped the race six times so that ALL cars could get new tires, because the GOODYEAR tires would wear out after ten laps.

I blame GOODYEAR for this, because the proof was all over me. Literally. I felt like I was back at the plant after a shift working as summer help. You could literally scrape the black rubber debris off of your skin throughout the race. (This would be expected at my short-track enduros, but not so much at a 2 1/2 mile track from 15 rows up, where the cars going by only hit full speed an average of eight laps before the next inevitable caution.)

There were so many cautions (mandatory stops by NASCAR as well as incidents caused by faulty tires,) that the race couldn't keep our interest, and on top of that, we were hot and tired. So we went out behind the stands to take a little nap. Ken slept well, and I had some fries while I watched multiple ambulances pull up within 20 minutes of each other to assist fans with dehydration and heat exhaustion (and boredom issues, I'm sure.)

Ken sleeping (and protecting our stuff,) and ambulance #2.

There were three cautions during our little break, and that's when I tried to convince Ken that we should hit the road. He talked me into going back to our seats for one more attempt at watching a race, but they called another caution before we even made it to our seats. Once the race went back to green we found our seats and settled in. Sure enough, a couple of laps went by and the yellow light went on; caution again. We were done. Bye-bye Indianapolis!

The good news: people in Indiana are really nice (even the inebriated ones,) our hotel was nice and comfortable (I hope so for $200/night,) and Ken and I got some couple-time. It wasn't all a loss!

6 comments:

JunesHGP said...

I hope my trip to CABO is more entertaining than that was. I am glad for some couple time though!
Woohoo.

Do you know anyone...ANYONE? who wants to order, sign up to make some money or hold a party? Anyone need a fundraiser of food and candles made in the USA????

Hehe Thanks for MY commercial. :0)

Bobbie said...

Sorry Colleen Don't put all the blame on Goodyear. That track was made for Indy cars, not the bigger ones they run at NASCAR races.

The officials were aware that there would be problems before the race even started.

Would have happened to any brand.

Colleen said...

I dunno... somebody was probably told to melt a crayon into the treads if they came off the line a little short of rubber...

Anonymous said...

I spotted a headline on our sports page which read.
"NASCAR apologizes for Indy tire fiasco"
I decided to read it since I had read your blog about your fiasco. The article said in part... "A durability issue with the tires Goodyear brought to Indy forced NASCAR to call cautions every 10 to 12 laps on Sunday to slow action and force teams to change their tires before they failed. This was the second slowest race in the 15 years NASCAR has competed at the Brickyard."

Anonymous said...

Oops, I didn't sign that comment. It is Donata who only opens the sports section of the paper when they put the comics, Dr. Gott, and Dear Abby in that section.
Donata

Colleen said...

"...who only opens the sports section of the paper when they put the comics, Dr. Gott, and Dear Abby in that section."

Me, too, Sister Donata (unless I'm in Nebraska during football season.) That's funny!

Glad I could get you to read the sports section, though! I read a lot of articles online about the race, and it sounds like it's 50/50for the blame.

Regardless, neither Goodyear nor NASCAR allow you to complain via the internet, so I need to sit down and actually WRITE a couple of complaint letters.

Another reason for me to complain! Stamps are up to $.42 each!