Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Weekend, Update

With a yard like this, you'd think my kids played football:


(Look closely, you'll see yard-lines. Ken + fertilizer = stripes.)

Well, we're not doing football yet, but we do have a T-Ball player (and Assistant Coach) in the family. Shannon is playing for another year only because his buddy Sean is playing and Sean's Dad, Jesse, is the coach. Jesse, in turn, named Ken his assistant. Here they are at the opening ceremony:

And here is Shannon ready for his first game of the season (minus one shoe):

It should be an interesting year. There was a lot of craziness getting the league going this year, but now all we have left are two months of T-Ball games. Most are on Friday nights so we will still have our weekends free, and since Ken's presence is mandatory, I'm not forced to be at every game whether I want to be there or not.

--------------------------

Onto another subject, Riley has been bothered by allergies this Spring and has been experiencing a lot of drainage. I let him sleep in the recliner one night, which enabled him to get a decent nights sleep. However, when I demanded he sleep in his own bed the next night, he improvised:

Riley made his own recliner by dumping out a large tub of clothes that he'd found in his closet, and filling the tub with a large stack of clean blankets which were also found in his closet. Now I have two large piles of once organized, folded, and clean laundry that is now disorganized, wrinkly and most likely not-so-clean. But Riley is sleeping well at night.

-------------------------------

And finally, I spent all morning at a dentist's office getting a second opinion about having veneers placed on my teeth. The good news is that they ARE an option. The bad news is that I would have to go through hell before my teeth could accept them. Seems I have an overbite that would result in failure within ten years if I went ahead and got them now.

The solution is simple. First of all, I would need to get braces (luckily it appears that I would only have to wear them for 12 - 18 months.) In order to prepare my teeth for braces, I would need to have five root canals and three fillings done. Once this has been accomplished, I can wear braces for under two years at an approximate cost of $5400. Once my bite has been corrected and my teeth aligned, I would have to have three crowns put on my molars, and then if I would still like to correct the yellow tooth (which will now be straight,) I have a little more work left. Should my yellow tooth survive all of the shifting from the braces, I would then have to have a root canal performed on it, (although if the tooth fails at either of these two stages, I can always get an implant, no problem.) Once the root canal is performed, they can shave it down and apply a veneer. Simple as that!

Did I mention that I don't mind the spaces in my teeth, I simply want to repair the one yellow tooth? Anyhow, we're talking about it, but in the meantime, I'm going to hit a couple of grocery stores and get some quotes on teeth-whitening products.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you considered white paint. Estimated cost; a buck and a half. Estimated schedule; about fifteen seconds. Problem solved.
Papa

Colleen said...

Good idea, Papa, we'll try that out on you this weekend before I give it a shot?

Actually, I was thinking something like that ancient product called correction fluid, you know, the stuff people used when they typed or wrote on paper?

JunesHGP said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JunesHGP said...

Ahhh, "Put me in coach, I'm ready to play..." this song may remind you a bit of me - bit it reminds me of my dad. One of his all time faves.

I like Papa's idea. ur's tain't bad neither.

I would bet the white stuff they sell these days would be a lot cheaper. I am even thinking about trying it. I used to get lots of compliments on my nice teeth, and pretty smile. Not so much, anymore, so either I am not smiling as much, OR....preganancy has caused my teeth to yellow....what do ya think?


I think I'll blame it on the kids! :0) haha

Oh, I LOVE Riley's recliner chair! He really is very creative!!

Colleen said...

Okay, I thought of Griff first, too, but that makes me think of you.

The whiteners aren't supposed to be effective on a dead tooth because the yellow is a result of the absence of the nerve through the center of it.

That makes me wonder, though... if I just got a root canal, would it appear whiter? Hmm... off to Google.

BTW, June, quit deleting your posts!

Colleen said...

Googled...

Hmm... I could just cap it (they're white!) or have a root canal , having it bleached internally before they seal it off.

Can they cap a tooth, making the tooth even with the next one??? Hmm... I could go for that!

NDHusker said...

Oh I am sooo happy to see someone else has the football lines in the yard...haha

Yes it happened to me last year - I am terrible with yard work!

Anonymous said...

Yo sis! Holy crap, just get a cap. They did something to my front tooth, but I'm not sure what. Remember when I chipped is 27 years ago, and they put a real screw in there and attached a fake piece to it? Then it rotted, and I had a black line through it? As my tooth grew bigger, it outgrew the piece they had attached.

Anyway, finally, it got fixed. I didn't get a cap, but they added some stuff to my tooth, filed it all, reduced my gap, and put some kind of finish on it. Wish I knew for sure what they did.

-Kellie

Anonymous said...

-p.s. They also colored it to match the other teeth.

-Kellie

Anonymous said...

I delete my comments when I make a mistake and actually catch it - I guess that is the "perfectionist" in me - so TUFF!!

love ya
~junebug.

P.S. Hey Kells, when are you gonna come visit my blog?

Anonymous said...

Uh, hey June, I have on many occasions. I've even posted? I think? Pink!

-Kellie