Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Dentists, Diets and Dirt

I went to the dentist today for a cleaning and came away with great news! (That never happens, I have sensitive teeth and I have grown to hate my dental appointments.) First, I had two pieces of filling material jammed in between my teeth and with much effort they were dislodged and removed. I can floss again! Secondly, veneers are an affordable option for my front teeth now, and Ken said "Let's do it!"

For those of you who may not know, I have a lovely yellow front tooth that is dead due to a diving accident I had when I was younger. (You know those '3 Feet - No Diving' signs you see at the swim pools? Well, I wish the teenager at Arnold Heights Swim Pool in 1981 had seen them, maybe then she wouldn't have decided to dive directly on my head!) Another result of this accident (or possibly just a genetic defect?) was a spacious gap between my two front teeth. My brother Casey says it's reminiscent of Madonna, therefore oddly attractive. (Gotta love Casey.) My take on it, however, is that if I can fix it without losing the tooth, I'm gonna do it!

----------

We're doing yet another nutrition study on Corey, it seems that a five year old should weigh more than 30 pounds. Hmmm.... yeah, I suppose so. The doctor also wants to run some tests to see if he has any allergies, deficiencies or disorders that might be attributed to his small stature. It seems like we'll never figure it out completely, but I'd put my money on Corey's birth weight (he was 1 pound 9 ounces) being a direct cause of it. Or perhaps the fact that he has Cerebal Palsy, which causes him to burn calories at an accelerated rate, could play into his slow growth. Or maybe Corey's size was meant to be, his paternal Grandmother is amazingly little and short. (Sorry, Joanne!)

----------

One more tangent. Riley and I planted some seeds yesterday, and we're hoping they take off. We had seed packets of mums and bachelor buttons, and I had cuttings from last year's black-eyed susans, mums, and some unknown flower the neighbor planted. Riley was wanting to plant carrots, so today I scooped up a packet of carrots and onions as well. We'll be starting three flats in all (recycled from my seedling purchases last spring,) with 48 plants per flat. Not sure what will happen if they all take off, however, because I honestly have no place to put them! I suppose I'll share the wealth with all of my neighbors if it comes to that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When will you be getting the veneers? You will have to e-mail me the cost on that. Jonathan has the same problem with one of his front teeth and is VERY self-consious about it! If it is not expensive, maybe it is something we should look into for him.

Flea

Colleen said...

My quote was $800 per tooth. (They like to do more than one tooth for aesthetic reasons, so two teeth.) Insurance might help pay, too. Also, we might have excess money in our pre-tax medical spending account to offset expenses.

I'd originally been told veneers wouldn't work because they'd have to file the tooth and that would cause too much damage to an already weakened tooth. Now they don't necessarily have to tear up the original tooth.

I'm excited to see if this is really gonna happen, I'm not vain but that tooth is just growing more yellow each year! I should know in a few weeks!

Anonymous said...

Love your posts sis! Gross about the food in the bathroom! Corey may never be very big huh? We love him anyway!

-Aunt Kells