Thursday, April 3, 2008

Spring Break

Well, it's that time of year where the grass starts turning green, the trees are starting to bud, and sinus infections are a constant. I don't know if it's necessarily the weather or the incense-infused sacramental get-together I attended at church last night, or maybe it was walking Grandma through her blog questions for the last hour, but I currently have one screaming headache.

I'd better shake it off, because at 12:15 this afternoon, our house will be dealing with Spring Break. Spring Break, that magical time that the kids love so much, a prelude to the long endless 'mommy-I'm-so-bored' summer to come, but without the sunshine and warm weather. For the next six days I'll have a house full of whiny boys, frustrated with the lack of entertainment and forever making small messes that become one huge garbage pile that is my house by 5:00 in the afternoon. Oh, it's already dinner time? Sorry, I was too busy trying to make everybody happy while mentally drowning them out at the same time. Frozen pizza, anyone?

Luckily, my bald husband and I are taking off for our Jamaican vacation bright and early Thursday morning, and by 2:00 that afternoon I had better be sitting on a beach in 80 degree temperatures, well on my way to being intoxicated by a few hand-delivered tropical drinks. My mother always used to say, "Don't call me at work unless someone is dead or bleeding," and the in-laws will be given the same warning as we hand them over charge of the boys.

For five days, FIVE days, I will only have to answer to myself and maybe my husband. It could be paradise, I just have to convince Ken that vacations are for relaxing as well as having fun. He was aghast when I mentioned that I couldn't wait to nap on the beach and sleep in every day. Yes, honey, there's snorkeling, sea kayaking, a party in the lounge, but I needed a break, you know. I already have to keep a schedule at home, I don't want one in Jamaica!

The wonderful thing is that Ken and I have a crazy ability to entertain ourselves and not solely rely on each other for everything. No, we're not one of those couples that couldn't imagine a day away from each other, and we're not one of those couples that can't stand being in each others presence, either. If he wants to scuba dive and I'm rested, I'll be there. If I'm cranky and no fun, he'll go and have the time of his life and tell me all about what I missed out on in my laziness. He'll tell me all about the cutie in the polka-dotted bikini, and I'll ask if he invited her to join up with us later. If it was a really good time, he'll insist that I go with him the next day, and I will. Then I'll tell him about the hot guy in the board shorts I met while I was being lazy on the beach, and he'll ask if the guy had any good looking girls with him... but you knew that, right?

My headache already feels like it's receding just thinking about this trip. All I have to do is survive the next six days.

5 comments:

Bobbie said...

You will have a great time, if Ken wears a cap or stocking cap the whole time you are there. You have no idea how fast his head will burn or how dangerous it can be. That is if you even get past him not looking like the guy in his passport. Love ya,
Mom

Laura said...

I am so jealous that you are going to Jamaica. I would LOVE a vacation right about now!

Colleen said...

You're so optomistic lately, mom!

Good point about the passport, but then again, I have brown hair in my pic and now I'm a blode. Oops.

Colleen said...

I think there is a law that says you and your spouse are not allowed to travel on vacation until your oldest is seven years old, Laura. You've got a few more years to go!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Ken bald and you the wrong color...that might look suspicious in today's day and age. We all better be praying as you try to hit Jamaica, MON.

:0) You guys will have a HUGE blast!!!!

Also, I hope the vacations start when the oldest is 7 and not when the youngest is 5 or I will be in BIG trouble!!

~junebug