Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Uno, Dos, Tres, Quatro...

So Corey is fascinated with languages. Chinese, Spanish, English and German, it doesn't matter. He therefore loves signs that have words in multiple languages. For example, his 'Wet Floor' sign says, "Cuidado, Achtung, Caution and Warning." This is a prized piece of property, I'm telling you! He finds signs in foreign languages with his Google Searches, and is so happy when he learns a new word. "Salida, that means exit in Spanish!" he reminds me. Hourly.

Well, today Corey was playing 2000 questions and I finally gave up. He wanted to know how to say Ginger Ale in Spanish. I instructed him to remember all the Spanish words he wanted to learn, and the next time we see our bilingual neighbor Mr. Jesse, we'll ask him to translate. (Poor Jesse, he has no idea what's coming...) Jesse is a 'have a seat on the porch and drink a beer with us' buddy, but unless I was drinking a bit too much during a get-together, I don't recall any in-depth Spanish lessons as of yet.

Anyhow, I didn't want to leave Corey hanging so I decided I would teach him to count in Spanish. (Hey, after 1 1/2 years of High School Spanish and 2 College semesters repeating what I should have learned in High School, I did come away with something.) I asked if he wanted to learn it and he excitedly said okay.

I said, "Uno, dos, tres," holding up a finger for each word. (Corey's a visual learner so I felt I was really helping him here.) "Now, Corey," I said, "do it with me. Uno, dos, tres." Corey was right with me on every word, holding up his fingers at the correct times and everything. I was thrilled that Corey was following me so well, and I paused to congratulate him. Unfortunately Corey didn't have time for that because he then, on his own, held up his fourth finger, then his fifth and continued, "quatro, cinco, seis, siete, ocho, nueve, diez!"

I was a little baffled but I've learned not to be too surprised by anything Corey knows. I'm certain I didn't teach him how to count in Spanish, but perhaps he picked it up from Sesame Street or maybe his teacher taught him. That's the tough thing about Corey, you never know where he gets it from, and if he tells you, it's usually just an answer he thinks you want to hear. "Who taught you how to count in Spanish, Corey?" I asked. He looked down like he was in trouble, so I reassured him that I was proud he could do it, but that I was just curious how he learned to count in Spanish. He sheepishly looked up at me and asked, "Mr. Jesse?"

If anybody out there can figure Corey out, please let me know. In the meantime, can anybody translate Chinese?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only Chinese words I know are Hung Chow (constipated)

Grandpa

Anonymous said...

Well...how about Dora the Explorer? Does she count in Spanish on her cartoon?

-Aunt Kells

Colleen said...

Grandpa,

Regarding your above comment, all I can say is:

Sum ting wong, wai so dim?

Translated: That's not right, you're not too smart, are you?

(Those are the only Chinese phrases I know.)

Colleen said...

Dora! Of course! He was really into that when he was three!

Anonymous said...

Well, knowing Corey, he probably retained it all! Even though it was a couple years ago. His little mind is fascinating!

-Aunt Kells