Friday, August 15, 2008

El Channel en Espanol

The kids were up a bit later than usual tonight, mainly because I just didn't feel like getting off my butt to put them to bed. Who knew that cartoons had such slim pickins' late at night, (even with Nick, Noggin, Boomerang, and every other cartoon channel that mid-level cable provides?) Corey had been scanning through the menu for a cartoon to no avail, when something finally caught his eye.

"Mom, what does that say?" he asked, pausing on a show with 'de' and 'toro' in the title. (As if I would know? My guess: something of the bull?) Obviously it was in Spanish, and we all know how much Corey loves that language. Soon we were all sitting in the living room watching that crazy adventurer guy, trapped in a freezing climate with wet clothes, explaining his survival methods. En Espanol, of course.

Do I need to remind anybody that not one person in this house speaks, much less understands Spanish? Corey was enthralled. "What's he doing? Why is he wet? Where are his clothes? What did he just say? Why... Why... Why..." Annoying. Really, everybody was complaining and begging for a channel change, but I was letting Corey go with it. Shortly, however, even I had had enough. "What is he saying Mom?" Corey yelled for the last time.

"Gee, Corey, I don't know what he's saying because I don't understand Spanish! Comprende?" Well, maybe I understand a little, no? Anyhow, at this point I finally just got off my butt and put the kids to bed. Buenos noches, boys...

6 comments:

Bobbie said...

Check with the school. Maybe they have a beginning Spanish class Corey could get into. Doesn't matter what grade. He could go to that while they are teaching reading, signs and the alphabet to his kindergarten class !!

Suppose?

Check the library for Spanish vidieos or beginning Spanish type vidioes. You know what I mean.

Anonymous said...

Spanish is easy! I know several words. Taco, enchilada, burrito...

Grandpa.

Colleen said...

I know, Mom. The local library has all kinds of crap in Italian (?) and French, but Corey loves his Spanish.

I can't see the school doing anything special for Corey, besides, they'll argue that he really needs the socialization and group skills (FACT) provided during ABC time.

Dad, you're horrible.

JunesHGP said...

I still have my espanol book from college - I am sure Corey could handle it. Let me know if you want to borrow it.

I think I also have a spanish CD - you could listen to it on your next trip back home!! :0)

Anonymous said...

You know, you just GOTTA love that kid.

Hey Corey: Use el bano to potty por favor!

Anonymous said...

My mother in law only speaks to Mateo in espanol because Jonathan and I would like for him to be bi-lingual. I know that she has some stuff that might help Corey learn. I will check with her and get back to you.

Love,

Flea