Wednesday, February 20, 2008

A Birthday Success!

I think it's safe to say Corey had a very happy 5th birthday. The signs were a big hit, and the wet floor sign I picked up was his favorite. (Mom said to grab it from her, so she's the hero of the day!) He loved it so much he took it to bed with him. He also loved a little circular pillow I'd purchased two years ago and forgot about that says DO NOT ENTER. (He took that to school with him and his teacher said he took it everywhere he went!)

The cake was lame, I definitely could have done better. I made a big show out of opening the box it came in and Corey looked at it, looked at me and said, "Why does it say 'SPEED LIMIT 5?'" Oh well!

Thinking a lot about Carley today, it's her birthday, too. It's so unfair that for every wonderful thing about Corey there's that nagging question of how Carley would be doing. I keep reliving the first week of Corey's life in my brain, and it's just not as fun to tell his "On the day you were born, 5 years ago, I was doing this right now," story that the kids love to hear. On the brighter side, how many kids get reminded of their first helicopter ride on the day they were born? (By the way, thanks Mom, that was a great tradition I stole from you!)

But it was still a great day! Dad summed it up perfectly with a sweet message on the family blog for Corey, it said: "Five years old and you know more about computers than Grandpa will ever learn. You are definitely a miracle child. You are always overcoming obstacles that you were born with in the grandest fashion. Grandma and Grandpa are so proud of you! Have fun with your new signs. We love you so much!!!!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Corey. You are truly a miracle! And yes, as much as we feel the joy of your life, there is still sadness about the loss of Carley.

Thanks also to your brothers, who don't even know how much they are helping you to grow and develop! I pray you all stay close and always know how special siblings are.

-Aunt Kells