Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Rough Night

Shannon came home from school with a note for me to sign stating that Shannon was repeatedly told to behave during Calendar time. After multiple warnings Shannon was instructed to flip his green card to yellow. This, in our current public school system, is the second worst thing that can happen to a first grader. The only thing worse than a yellow card is when (insert dom-dom-dom-dom sound effects,) your card goes to RED!

The shame, the humiliation, the hour of tears (some real, some crocodile,) after Shannon came home and confessed. It wore us all out!

Once peace had been restored, the boys were sent to the basement to clean, a task they had been forewarned of over 24 hours ago. Naturally, squabbling ensued. By the third time Corey screamed out in pain from one of Shannon's taunts (it sounded like real pain this time,) I was done. I ran downstairs to see what was the matter and there was Corey doubled over in pain clutching his privates. "It was an accident, an accident, I swear!" Shannon yelled, (for the third time, did I mention?)

Hell hath no fury like a Mom with an injured child who is already one short of a pair in this regard (poor Corey, prematurity was rough on him.) I went off. Corey whimpered in pain from Shannon's kick. Shannon recoiled in shame clutching an aching ear from my screaming. Riley, in complete shock, insisted that I needed to have a visit with a Priest. NOW.

Confession. Eight year-olds can be so insightful.

3 comments:

Bobbie said...

I'm loving it. The joy's of motherhood.

So many memories!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh boy! Is this what I have to look forward to? I am already having troubles with Mateo being too rough with Joaquin....I guess it is only going to get worse,huh?

I Remember in elementary school at lunch time we had the green, yello and red flags that hung from the basketball hoops. It's funny how they still use those concepts today!

Love,
Flea

Anonymous said...

From Papa
I, obviously, came from a different time; I mean a real different time. Our teachers just wacked us. But. being a real good kid, I never got wacked. Hah! At least, that's what I told the kids. Did I ever tell you about the time that I............. yada yada yada yada