Thursday, January 8, 2009

Mommy of the Year or Something Like That

I really should win an award. It's been a busy day, and everything seems to make the boys happy - at least when they're not fighting with each other.

Last night I planned to take the boys to CCD, but as soon as we slid onto the main road, I realized that it wasn't going to happen. Ice was everywhere! Ken came home from work just before midnight last night and said that if school wasn't cancelled, we were cancelling it for them - the roads were that bad.

When we woke up this morning and checked the school closings, we were a little shocked (okay, not at all shocked) that school was in fact going to happen. Ken said, "I wouldn't send them," and I said, "But they just got done with Christmas Break (Winter Break if I wanted to be PC, but I am after all a Catholic who believes in Christmas thank you very much,) and they have two half-days and a day off in less than two weeks! I need them to go to school..."

Then I started envisioning sliding buses and cars in ditches, but what sealed the deal was the sound of an ambulance siren at that exact moment. Forget it, they're staying home. Damn.

Now, I'd been purging everything in the main level of my house for the last three days, moving computers around and rearranging furniture. Everything finally had a home (most of it out on the curb for the garbage man) except for one large ugly piece of furniture which doubles as an incredible storage space when not being so offensive. Where to put it?

Well, some very bored old lady with a broken foot suggested getting rid of the spare bed in Corey's room, and if we did that, the storage piece could go in there, and we could fill it with the kids' board games which had previously hijacked my entry way closet. So that's what we did (after I shoveled the driveway, fed and bathed the kids, and begged Ken to wake up for the tenth time.)

The boys loved it and Corey loved the room that was ALL HIS. (Riley has finally claimed the guest room in the basement so that he could have some privacy, which made it possible for each boy to have his OWN room - I guess nobody is allowed to visit anymore.)

After we got all of that done and Ken took off for work, I decided to settle in for a little nap (it's been days since that happened.) Just as I started dozing, the boys began asking me for the wireless codes (because when mom looks tired, that's a good time to attempt something well beyond your skill set.)

Soon I realized the idea of a nap was futile, and after about 45 minutes of playing around with the WII, the Nintendo DS's, and googling crap on the computer, I had somehow managed to get the boys embroiled in a Pokemon competition on the WII through their DS's. (Help me out here, couldn't they just do a two-player with a Pokemon WII game? Guess it's just not the same...)

Anyhow, I just fed them and they should remain fairly happy just long enough for me to go shovel the driveway again (the plows recently came through and left me a present, along with a tipped garbage can.) Then back to doing mind-numbing tasks in an effort to make the boys happy on their parent-induced snow day.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stopped to answer the phone and lost my comments in the process. The weather this winter has been has been horrible. I was thinking of you when I heard MI was having problems with ice. Did you get snow after the ice? We are in the middle of a rollercoaster ride with our weather here. Even the weather men refer to it as rollercoaster. Hot one day freezing the next. Today is to be in the lower 60's with an artic front moving in tonight. Donata

Colleen said...

Four inches, Sister. 3 to 6.8 (that's what the new said,) for today on top of that.

I'm glad to hear from you - I was about to put out an APB for you over on the forum!

Bobbie said...

Some old lady huh ??

And yes, you did need to get rid of that second bed in Corey's room!

JunesHGP said...

Guess I won't be coming to visit the mother of the year....

Bobbie said...

You have to nominate yourself, vote for yourself and declare it a one vote only poll. That is the only way you can win.

Too many other mothers out there who think they deserve it !!