Thursday, January 15, 2009

I Should Probably Stop...

For some reason this book grabbed my attention the other day in the library and I just started reading it. Apparently you can be a happier person if you just stop complaining. I want to be happier! I must stop complaining! But then what will I have to talk about anymore? When I call Mom, I complain. Sometimes I call up a friend just to complain. I've been known to visit particular blogs so I can hear other people complain!

What is the solution to all of this complaining? The idea is simple. Put a purple bracelet on your wrist and every time you complain, (or gossip and criticize for that matter!) move the bracelet to your other wrist. This brings your habit to your attention and causes you to think about what you say. After 4 - 8 months, you should be able to go 21 days straight without complaining. This will make you happy.

Now, honestly, I know I'm a very negative person and this would be a good thing for me. I know my faults pretty well and so do you if you read my blog. I've often attempted to rectify this situation on my own. I'll play mind games with myself and say, "You're driving across town. No getting mad at other drivers, no being annoyed by the kids, and no swearing under your breath!" Sometimes I even make it all the way out of the driveway before I blow it.

So maybe I'll give this idea a shot. I may have to make an exception for the blog, because after all, this is pretty much one long list of complaints. (Well, not always.) If I do get this rolling, I'm going to have to create an anti-"Where IS that exit sign?" blog. Then you'll have two choices. The real Colleen and the Colleen we never knew existed. Shall I?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think that I would like the new, non-complaining Colleen. If you stop complaining, then I can't complain to you when I need to vent!!! Where did you find this book? And what the hell were you doing in the "self help" section???!!!

Love,
Flea

Colleen said...

It was on display by the check out desk. It did mention that you'll probably lose a lot of your friends if you try it because they 'feed' off of your complaints...

Venting shouldn't be the same as complaining, all married women NEED to vent, right?

Besides, I just found out that this dude was on Oprah, which makes me want to throw up a little. Pretty soon I'll be joining her book club and schleping around her incredibly big and boring magazine and alienating all my friends!

Maybe I'll just personally try to be nicer? Slap myself when I complain too much? That's not an Oprah tactic...

Anonymous said...

Hey, anyone tell you lately that you really are a good writer?

Channel your energies and write a book.

-Kellie

Anonymous said...

Who are you and what did you do with Colleen?
Papa

Riley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JunesHGP said...

As Sammy Hagar said while we were watching him play at Cabo Wabo Cantina in MX...
(well, minus all the !(*@&(*^#%*@^%(*&))

If someone hears me complaining they oughta slap me across the face. My life is too good to complain.

Someone else once told me - just count the blessings in your life. You can't complain when you focus on that.



I think venting is different than complaining...so go ahead - try the book, then call us and vent!!

Yesterday, as I and someone else were complaining about the weather (yes, that is different than venting) I realized that we have nothing to complain about...back in the old days...they would have had to deal with this subzero temp crap in way worse situations than we do today!!

Anonymous said...

Kellie, I have told her before that she should write a book! Colleen is the most brilliant writer I have ever read!!


Love,
Flea

Bobbie said...

You can try it Colleen, but it won't work.

Life gets in the way and you won't even remember you have anything on your wrist. Human nature to complain.

Saints we ain't.

Mom

Colleen said...

^^^ Hmm... now how did I become such a pessimist???

:) :) :) ROTFL

Anonymous said...

Don't buy the wrist band just put a rubber band on your wrist and snap it. It will do the same thing (probably nothing but leave a mark)and cost less. Donata

Colleen said...

Sister,

I think I did that once when I was trying to quit smoking or cussing. Hmm... FAILED!

Anonymous said...

Good one weenie?

-Kells

Anonymous said...

If you are still wanting to change your attitude Everytime you complain about something think of something to be thankful for. That way you are replacing a bad habit for a good one.
Donata

Colleen said...

I like that, Sister. And much more realistic!