Saturday, September 12, 2009

Bad Mom

I'm pretty sure I win the 2009 Bad Parenting Award. Just ask my son Shannon.

Yesterday I was crazy busy, I ran to the store, ran to the school, wrapped a birthday present, planted 16 sets of mums, and entertained a yard/house full of neighborhood kids for most of the evening. Today the boys woke me up shortly after the sun made it's appearance and I was tired. I still had 12 plants to put in the ground so early this afternoon I set to work, made lunch, then checked out some news feeds and decided at 4:00 that it was time to get in the shower.

Mid-lather my heart just stopped and I was overcome by a sickening feeling. That birthday present that I had wrapped the day before? It was for Shannon's BEST FRIENDS birthday party that took place this afternoon at 2:00. It was ending just as I stepped out of the shower. Oops.

So I woke my husband up and told him what I did, and he said that I probably should tell Shannon what he'd missed out on, "But you should wait half an hour so that I'm on my way to work when Shannon begins to throw a fit." Thanks for the backup, there, honey!

After Ken left, I decided that the boys were behaving pretty well and ignorance is bliss so I didn't mention my little snafu. Time passed and soon the boys were heading up to bed. The house grew quiet and I was certain that I had dodged a bullet for the day when all of the sudden I heard a great big wail descending the stairs. At 10:15 tonight, my son came hurtling down the stairs crying, "MOOOOOOOMM! You forgot to take me to my best friends birthday party!!!"

13 comments:

Bobbie said...

MOMMY !

How could you?

When did he calm down enough to get back to bed?

Bad Mommy!

Colleen said...

He calmed down pretty quick, I offered him a sleepover with his buddy or a trip to Chuck E Cheese for the two of them, and I think I also have to take him to the store today for some candy to replace the gift bag he missed out on. Phew!

Bobbie said...

Sounds like this memory lapse might cost you dearly !

Bobbie said...

Are you going to give the little boy his gift or save to re-gift for a later party??

Colleen said...

Shannon insisted that the gift go to his friend TODAY!

Anonymous said...

Oops!

-Aunt Kells

Anonymous said...

Did bad mommy get sent to her room and can't come out to play ?

Colleen said...

I don't know who asked the previous question, but the answer is, "I WISH!!"

Anonymous said...

Bad mommy must have lost her computer privileges.

Colleen said...

LOL! I know, I'm slacking. Cleaning now, supposedly.

Anonymous said...

Bad mommy's house must have been really dirty.

Colleen said...

Okay, Mom (I'm assuming,) I GET IT. Update on it's way...

Bobbie said...

Busted!