Friday, June 19, 2009

Under Pressure

Wow, what a strange night! At about 10:00 PM this evening we had a front coming through, so I let the boys camp out in the basement for the night and finally got a chance to head out to the garage for a break. I had the small back garage door open so that I could watch the storm, and the big garage door down to keep out the rain coming straight out of the west.

Out of nowhere, the wind kicked up so hard that I thought the garage door was going to implode, so I hurriedly shut the back door of the garage and went to go into the house. Just as I opened the screen door, the door to the house slammed shut on me. It literally took me 30 seconds to get the door to open using every muscle in my body.

Once I got through the door and into the kitchen, the door slammed shut behind me and I ran to the front door of the house to shut it, as the wind was blowing the rain horizontally into the house. Too late, the pressure caught the front door and slammed IT shut too.

I yelled down to the boys to ask if everything was okay down there, when Riley let out a long piercing scream. I ran down to the basement and tried to calm him by explaining that the wind had just blown the doors shut when he yelled, "Mom! I'm scared and my window is broken!" Crap!

I go into Riley's room and this is what I find:

The wind had sucked the egress window, frame and all, right out of the wall and into the window well.

Ken was still at work so I called our neighbor Matt over, and just as we were getting the window well protected from the outside, Ken drove up. After Ken STOPPED AT THE MAILBOX TO GET THE MAIL, (I kid you not,) he came to help Matt and I, who were working in the wind and pouring rain. Immediately Ken sized up what we were doing and determined that he had a better idea. This is where I gave up and went in the house.

Ken and Matt got to work on Ken's plan, and I went into the basement to take pictures. Just in time, I caught this little mishap:

Ken falling into the window well.

He's going to be a little sore tomorrow with a good gash and bump on his shin and a twisted ankle, but he's lucky because he should have broken his leg. Anyhow, Ken limped back out of the window well, and when I asked if everyone was okay, I got this response:

Along with Ken yelling, "And she's taking a damn picture!"

Shannon and Riley were watching the big guys work from the basement, and they were very excited to notice the wildlife in the window well. Shannon corralled some and I got this picture:

Frogs. Big confused frogs.

Anyhow, we set the frogs free, secured the window well from both the outside and inside, and the storm quickly blew over. It has since been determined that this was all my fault. Apparently, I should have either A) had the rear door of the house open to avoid the pressure buildup or B) stayed in the garage until the door would easily open instead of forcing it open. Me and my great big biceps getting me in trouble once again, I just don't know my own strength.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I disagree with Ken's analysis. I believe the slamming shut of the back door was the problem. The front door open, allowing the wind to go through the house and out the back created a wind tunnel. When the back door smammed shut, it allowed the wind to pressurize the house and BOOM. Windows withstand pressure from the outside, as they are designed to do; but, not as well when the higher pressure is on the inside. So i think that you are off the hook. Blame Mother Nature.
Hope Ken is OK.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Glad everyone is okay!

-Aunt Kells

Anonymous said...

wow! The storm chaser got caught in the pressure buildup. They used to talk about leaving a window open during a tornado but it is now considered a myth. I must say I enjoyed your telling about the experience. I still think you ought to write a book.
It would be hilarious.

Donata

Anonymous said...

Those alleged frogs look like toads to me. Sorry about the basement window. Life gets more exciting with each passing day.

Grandpa

Colleen said...

Dad, I dont' honestly know the differece between toads and frogs, but that may explain why they seemed so confused!

Thank you for lending me the old lady for a little while, hope you don't mind.

Happy Father's Day, too, while I'm at it! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Dont eat the toad legs! You will get warts on your tongue!!!